The Karn Meats History
In the 1920s, Karn Meats opened its doors as a retail shop in the former “Central Market” of downtown Columbus, Ohio. The company moved to its current Taylor Avenue location in 1948 as it adapted its business model to serve the grocery stores and butcher shops that were evolving throughout the country and replacing the once centralized marketplaces. In 1971, company changed its name to Karn Packing Co. and incorporated in Ohio. The processing of wholesale beef, specifically ground beef, was added to the business in 1983 as to offer a greater selection to customers.
In 1985, the company’s name was changed, again, to Karn Meats Inc. to promote the fact that it did more than kill and pack beef. It was in 1990 when the company expanded its meat processing plant, while continuing to service existing customers with boxed beef, shipped in from the major packing companies throughout the Midwest. At the same time, Karn ceased use of its slaughterhouse facility. A cooking facility was added in 1999 to further specialize in catering to the food service industry. Since then, Karn Meats has grown to become of the Midwest’s largest, most trusted processors of raw and cooked custom meat products.
Moving Forward with Pride in Our Product
Today, Karn Meats prides itself in developing custom and private label meat products for today’s food service market. As a USDA-inspected meat establishment, following a strict HACCP plan, Karn Meats offers customers quality assurance, product safety and flawless consistency. Our team uses an advanced tracking system for all products. These reports include lot origination, lot coding and testing to ensure that all products have been properly handled for guarantee safety.
Karn Meats is the Winner of: